Saturday, October 4, 2008

Where Does Your Food Come From?



I think here in Southern California we are way ahead of the “Where does my food come from?” curve. The proliferation of organic-only farmers’ markets seems to support that idea.

Now the federal government has gotten on the band-wagon. A federal law takes effect this week that requires supermarkets and other big food retailers to label the country of origin for meat, produce and certain kinds of nuts.

I guess that’s good. I mean, for me, it’s not so much about the country of origin as it is the county of origin. I like my food to be grown or to be raised as close to my home as possible. That is just one great reason to live in California!

There’s an entire movement out there that is (into) the carbon footprint of the food we eat. I don’t necessarily go to that extreme. I just know that the fewer miles my food has to travel before it hits my table, the fresher it will be.

What are your thoughts? Do you care where your food comes from?

Thank you for making me Your Orange County Real Estate Connection.

Best regards.
Michael Caruso, Broker ABR ABRM CRB CRS GRI
2007 President, Orange County Association of Realtors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...